In the UK
Helplines and support groups
- Samaritans (08457 90 90 90) operates a 24-hour service available every day of the year. If you prefer to write down how you are feeling, or if you are worried about being overheard on the phone, you can email Samaritans at email@example.com.
- PAPYRUS (0800 068 41 41) is a voluntary organisation that supports teenagers and young adults who are feeling suicidal.
- Depression Alliance is a charity for people with depression. It does not have a helpline, but offers a wide range of useful resources and links to other relevant information.
- Students Against Depression is a website for students who are depressed, have a low mood or are having suicidal thoughts.
- Bullying UK is a website for both children and adults affected by bullying.
Help for young men
Men may be more likely to avoid or ignore problems and many are reluctant to talk about their feelings or seek help when they need it.
A support group called the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is an excellent resource for young men who are feeling unhappy. As well as the website, CALM also has a helpline (0800 58 58 58).
In the USA
- Hotline Numbers
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) - by State List
- Mental Health America (MHA) - by State List
- Non-Profits & Government. Agencies
- Info by Topic Telephone List
- Self-Help Clearinghouses by State
- Child Abuse & Neglect
- Missing Children
- NIH's Institutes
- Adolescent Suicide Hotline
- Adolescent Crisis Intervention & Counseling Nineline
- AIDS National Hotline
- CHADD-Children & Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Child Abuse Hotline
- Cocaine Help Line
- Domestic Violence Hotline
- Domestic Violence Hotline/Child Abuse
1-800-4-A-CHILD (800 422 4453)
- Drug & Alcohol Treatment Hotline
- Ecstasy Addiction
- Eating Disorders Center
- Family Violence Prevention Center
- Gay & Lesbian National Hotline
- Gay & Lesbian Trevor HelpLine Suicide Prevention
- Healing Woman Foundation (Abuse)
- Help Finding a Therapist
- Incest Awareness Foundation
- Learning Disabilities - (National Center For)
- Youth Crisis Hotline
- Victim Center
- Teen Helpline
- IMAlive-online crisis chat
- Suicide Prevention - The Trevor HelpLine
(Specializing in gay and lesbian youth suicide prevention).
- Suicide & Crisis Hotline
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- STD Hotline
- Sexual Abuse - Stop It Now!
- Sexual Assault Hotline
- Self-Injury (Information only)
(NOT a crisis line. Info and referrals only)
1-800-DONT CUT (1-800-366-8288)
- Runaway Hotline
- Rape, Abuse, Incest, National Network (RAINN)
- Rape (People Against Rape)
- Project Inform HIV/AIDS Treatment Hotline
- Post Abortion Trauma
- Panic Disorder Information Hotline
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- Missing & Exploited Children Hotline